Sunday, March 18, 2012

5K Completed!

Ok so you might be aware that I wanted to run a 5k by the end of the summer....or maybe not because I hadn't motivated myself to run yet this year. But, guess what...I did it! Impromptu! Last minute I decided to sign up.

I just got this feeling in my gut and the conversation went something like this (to my sister-in-law Laura).
"So...how fast do you run your 5k?"
"Snail pace. Like 15 minute mile."
"So I could keep up with you probably?"
"Oh yeah, definitely."
"Ok. I'm doing it. How much is late registration?"

Saturday I made the decision to run. Sunday morning I registered, and ran that same day.

I made it through the 5k...3.1 miles in 42 minutes and 28 seconds. No training. Nothing...14 minute mile. Me. I did it. Sure I walked some, but I kept going. And I kicked butt!

I had my cute new running clothes on. Headphones tuned onto a variety of Christian music. And determination in my heart. I kept saying to myself, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." I sped up to the parts where the song swelled and my heart felt happy worshiping God. I was mouthing along to my music (and probably looking like a crazy lady with sweat dripping off my forehead) and wishing I could lift my hands and jump up and down telling people how amazing God is. I reminded myself of where I have been and where I am going. And through all of this I made it through.

And I felt strong. Strong for doing the 5k. Strong for being able to allow God to make me strong, even in my weakness. Strong for doing this a week after our fifth miscarriage. Strong. Me? Strong? Yes, and I loved it. James and I had a wonderful weekend with Laura, Joe, and the short time we saw Gauge (even if he was a little cranky).

I cannot wait to do another 5k. I broke the ice. I am game. Why in the world did I wait so long? I am pretty sore from lack of training and kicking the 5k's booty...but it is well worth the endorphins and how strong and fierce I felt at the end of the race. I am thinking one a month for the rest of the summer if I can find one, I am going to not only leave my time in the dust, but I am going to leave obesity forever. I am so close to being just "overweight" I can taste it (4lbs if you are curious).

James didn't think I would go through with this 5k at first (I tend to be indecisive...), but I just had to do it for myself. James spent the weekend moving things with Joe getting ready for their upcoming move to Grand Rapids. I am pretty excited to have them live closer. Anyways, while us girls were kicking the 5k's butt the boys were working hard on the move. While I am thinking about it, please keep James's knee in your prayers. It has been bugging him for at least a week now, and I would love for it to heal without having to seek a medical opinion (but am preparing to call in the very near future). I really would LOVE to complete a 5k together by the end of the summer!

What about you? Are you game for a 5k? Your first time doesn't really matter. What truly matters is getting off your butt and just doing it! Even if it is a 5k walk. And if you leave me in the dust doing it, that is perfectly fine because my hope is to inspire others to change their life for the better!

I will leave you with some photos from the day (the quality may not be the best, they are from my phone).

My number. I was so excited to get it!!
The 5k was Al Kayner's St. Patrick's Day Race in Bay City, MI

It was a mad house of people. There was a 5k and an 8k along with walkers.

Before
After!

SO HAPPY!!
Finished 42:28


We both ran our 1st 5Ks together :-)
Laura finished 47:30

No comments:

Post a Comment