Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Imagination vs Faith During the Holidays

The thought of Christmas coming up and the assuredness I felt about NOT doing Santa, followed up by the dentist giving me a letter to the "tooth fairy" as essentially an excuse for not having the teeth that he had gotten pulled that day at home with him, because they were much too "sick" to be picked up at home....well it all left me feeling a little discombobulated. It left me questioning if we were making him miss out on something so fun, and where the boundaries were for these make-believe icons.

I am writing this more for me to get my thoughts out, so bare with me. My thoughts on why not to do Santa are really quite simple. My mom was AWESOME at doing Santa. I really had no clue that he wasn't a real person until I was much older than most other kids. I remember the devastation that not only did the magic of Christmas not really exist in Santa, but also the tooth fairy and Easter bunny we fake. I felt lied to. Completely let down. Betrayed. I know it may sound silly to some people, but it really changed the way that I saw holidays. Growing up I did not believe in Jesus, or really know much about Him at all. What if I had? How can you explain to a little girl that is wrapped up and has complete and utter faith in you telling her that these fictional creatures are real, that you lied to her about them....but Jesus is the real deal?

Can you imagine the questioning that would have came about with my faith, if I had believed then? It makes my heart ache to just imagine. Is that what Jesus would want for our son?

I want Matthew to believe in miracles. Not magical beings.
I want Matthew to know that you should always choose the right thing, not just during the month of December.
I want Matthew to know that Jesus loves him unconditionally, and he doesn't reward pending on a "Naughty or Nice" list.
That we work for the things we have, a jolly old fat man doesn't make nice things for us in the North Pole....in spite of the fact that sometimes I wish it really did work that way.
I want him to be thankful and not feel entitled for whatever he gets. (Maybe that should be on another post...)
I want Matthew to know that Christmas is the celebration about Jesus's birthday, and that gifts to each other during this time are WONDERFUL and FUN but not what the season is about.

On the flip side, what do the holidays, or events like losing a tooth look like for a family that doesn't step into these traditions of fairy tales that society participates in? Do we lose the magic? Not setting out cookies and milk for Santa? Not getting excited for a quarter (or a dollar) due to losing a tooth? Not believing in the Easter Bunny bringing you baskets and hiding your eggs for a hunt? And how do we teach him delicately to not dash the dreams and beliefs of other children whose parents have allowed these beliefs? Do you see where I feel I am sitting? Right between a rock and a hard place. My heart feels grieved that we have to look at things like this. I almost wish some days I didn't feel that gentle pull (or hard tug) at my heart from God leading me in a different direction than mainstream...because mainstream is easier. But I have to make sure I am following God's will for our family, and not society's perception of how things should happen.

James says we have time, not to worry, because Matthew won't understand for quite some time. But there is this ache and this hunger to try to figure out the best way to honor God in the midst of all of this. I cannot judge and say that your way is wrong if you choose to believe in the magic of Santa at Christmas. Because I do believe there is a place for Santa. He is a fun idea, and an excellent conversation piece in my opinion. Children should be able to make-believe and have an imagination. I love holiday movies like The Santa Clause with Tim Allen (Classic), Elf, The Polar Express, and Rudolf. I look forward to watching them every year. Yet, I do have to say, I am MORE excited for Matthew to officially open the book "God Gave Us Christmas" and start a tradition of reading it to him every holiday season. It does an awesome job explaining that God gave us Christmas and is much easier to find than Santa. So there is a place for Santa..., just in what capacity of a role will he play? A leading role? Or a minor one. Someone that has a lead solo, or simply someone that sings in the chorus?

I do think it would be fun and I hope to one day play Santa for a needy family, having Matthew go shopping with us to pick out toys, dropping them off without them knowing who did it, showing them the love of Christ in the Christmas season with presents, food, and a letter of God's love for them....but this wouldn't lose it's fun after December was over. People are needy year round! And Joy isn't only present in December.

One thing is for certain, Santa will not be the reason for the season in our house hold. The reason for the season lies in Jesus Christ. A little babe that was born in a manger, fulfilling a huge story that began long ago by God, who was born so that later he could die to save us all from the sins of this life. And of God, who loved us all so much, that he allowed his one and only son to suffer in spite of his innocence. Just so we could have the ability to have a bridge allowing us to cross the gap to spending eternity in heaven with them, without strict regulations and legalism that had to be followed, as long as we accepted and confessed we believed in Him.

Faith will lead Matthew through his life time. The child-like beliefs of these fantasy items are not worth the questioning of Jesus in my opinion. Am I willing to chance the outcome and impact on his faith to enjoy the seemingly innocent, short years that he would believe full-heartedly in a magical man, or bunny, or fairy...? *Sigh*

Parenting choices are hard sometimes friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment