Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Crockpot Salsa Chicken

I didn't take any pictures this time around, but will definitely share the link to the pin that I found this recipe at, and they have a picture :-)

Can you say DELICIOUS? I have really been on a Mexican kick lately: tacos, fajitas, seven layer taco dip, and these salsa chicken tacos. YUM I bet this would be good on nachos instead of beef.

This is how you make it, again I altered their recipe. I could have cut back on some of the salsa/sour cream/cream of mushroom.

Here is the original recipe: (You can find it HERE)

  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (frozen is okay!)
  • 1 cup salsa
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 packet taco seasoning
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 6 tortillas
But here is what I did:
  • 28 oz of chicken (again I needed to weigh it for calories)
  • 1 cup bean and corn salsa
  • 1/2 cup medium salsa
  • 1 1/2 cups sour cream
  • 1 1/2 cups cream of MUSHROOM soup
  • 1 packet of McCormick Fajita seasoning
  • 5/8 cup whole wheat flour (again only because I wanted to thicken it up a bit...decrease some of the sour cream and salsa you should be fine)
I used what I had, and was going to add mushrooms to it, but got too busy before work and too tired in the morning when I got home to add it.

I mixed the salsa, sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, and fajita seasoning together in crock pot before adding the chicken. I put on low before I went to work and had James stir it and put crock pot on keep warm when he got home. I probably would have been done then! But I love how nice it is just to have something simmering warm on the counter when it comes home so I can have a quick bit to eat (I have been quite hungry lately, little man is already eating us out of house and home! ;-) hahaha).

When I got home I took the chicken out, shredded it and added the flour to the sauce to thicken it up. Then replaced in slow cooker on low to finish thickening a bit until we got up and I helped James get his lunch around.

This time I weighed the food so we could go by ounces. We tend to weigh our food more than measure with measuring (James likes it better! and it is more accurate). This recipe made 13 servings of about 4 ounces (it is like 3.9) for 146 calories, 13 carbs, 5 g of fat, and 15 g of protein.

The good thing about this recipe is you could add other veggies to get some extra into diet (I was thinking mushrooms, maybe a few more onions, could even add some diced peppers or I bet black olives would be good as well). AND you can make it as spicy as your taste buds wish. Like it hot? Use spicy taco seasoning and hot salsa, and you could even add hot sauce. Like it mild? Use a mild taco seasoning and mild taco seasoning. It is delicious with cheese on top in a taco shell. Yum!

I am looking forward to eating this for lunch today! (I ate breakfast at like 2, gotta love third shift!)

Next Crock Pot Adventure: undecided, need to search pinterest for what I want to try making. James is asking for Chili! But honestly, I am not very good at making a small pot of chili so that might wait for next week when I know we can have people over to help eat it!

Today I am also 23w6d and that means picture day! =D woohoo!


No comments:

Post a Comment