Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Band Geek

I took my sister, JoAnna, to go pick up her flute that she had been so patiently waiting for since the first day of school.

Let me tell you, the giddiness and process of her trying to learn right in front of my eyes made me miss band.

And look forward to Matthew learning how to play an instrument. Which he will by how excited he gets when JoAnna begins playing, singing along with her and clapping his hands. Or by the crying when she puts it away :-)

She reminded me a little of myself how often she got her instrument out to play it again, and again, and again. I hope she keeps that joy through high school and beyond. Because I still occasionally get my clarinet out and bust out the chromatic scale (alas much slower and sloppier than I used to be able to) or memorized portions of various pieces that I played for solo and ensemble.

And have I mentioned how much JoAnna giggle or thought it was AWESOME that she could do something better than her oldest sister. I am TERRIBLE at the flute. I even said, "THAT is why I never played the flute." and she giggled and told me to give her her flute back. And talked about how it took me many tries to get a sound to come out. I would have to practice so much just to sound as good as she does already lol.

 Praying she has wonderful tone, musical ability, and is able to pour herself into music as I had. That it will become her escape when the days seem long, and that God will find her there. That her spirits will be lifted, her ADD will melt away, and others will find joy in her talents as she plays her instrument.

Here is JoAnna Kay playing her flute, don't mind my finger in the corner, haha. She was SO excited she played it in the back seat of my car on our way home. I got asked how annoying it was. And 100% can say it wasn't. It was amazing to watch her willingness to learn and hear notes that actually sounded good! (My poor mom with the clarinet, not all notes sounded good haha).

No comments:

Post a Comment